NCAA Tournament Round 1 Reactions
Wow, what a first round…one of the best in recent memory. I can officially say that my 2010 NCAA Tournament bracket is officially crushed. I have 0% chance of winning any kind of tournament pick’em challenge and will be succumbed to another victory by my wife in our head-to-head pick’em bracket. Oh well, same story, different year. But hey, the Dukies won right? All is well and they will hopefully continue their hot shooting Sunday night (5:30 PM) against Cal.
Here are a few thoughts and reactions from Round 1:
1. Really Georgetown? A double-digit loss to Ohio University? Come on, how inconsistent can you be. With Chris Wright and Eugene Monroe, you were viewed as a guaranteed first-round winner and a common Elite 8 or Final Four pick among the nation. Instead, you laid the biggest egg of the tournament so far. Ohio bruised you up and down the court, running circles around your big men and beating Wright and Freeman to the basket every single possession. With so much promise, JTIII’s Hoyas did so little. Another year, another underachieving tournament performance. Forget picking you next year, you ruined my 2010 bracket. Thanks a lot.
2. Ah, the local boys. Old Dominion beating a much better Notre Dame was a COMPLETE shocker. Now listen, I know I live in the Hampton Roads area and should be rooting for them, but did anyone honestly look at both teams and view ODU as the better team? And of course, just like G’Town, I picked Notre Dame to make a decent run and bow down to Duke in the South regional Elite 8 matchup next week. I guess I learned my lesson once again to always root for the home team, whether you like them or not. Now, the Monarchs match up against an up and running Baylor team in the bottom half of the Southern Region Saturday evening. For Duke’s sake, I’ll be the biggest ODU fan on the planet today, whether anyone else likes it or not. Who knows? Could ODU run the table? Could they be the next George Mason? Well, why not?
3. Buzzer beaters, the best thing in sports. Congrats to Murray State beating an overrated Vanderbilt with a game-winning thriller to walk into Round 2. Listen, we all look forward to the tournament every year. But honestly, it’s mostly for the close games and hopefully an array of buzzer beaters and game winning shots. Even when our own teams play, we secretly root for a game winning shot, though on the outside and for our nerves’ sake, we hope for an early half blowout. Murray State was our first Cinderella bracket buster so lots of props for them. Watch out for them to oust Butler in Round 2…let the Madness continue.
4. The ACC vs. the Big East. And who thought the Big East was overrated? I DID. They have finally been exposed for the frauds that they are. Yes, they beat up on each other in their own conference, but out of conference, the Big East took losses from teams like William and Mary, South Florida, and Loyola Marymount. I agree that the Big East is deep, but that doesn’t mean that they are good. To be honest, Villanova deserved to lose but got an early Christmas present from some of the worst referees I have ever seen. Was the game fixed? Maybe so….don’t be surprised if we find that out in a year or two once someone comes clean. But anyways, how about the ACC, huh? Wake Forest took care of Texas, Duke and Maryland dominated, and Georgia Tech took care of business.. Can’t wait to see what happens when they match up with fraudulent members of the big East. Expect Syracuse and Villanova to struggle in Round 2. Don’t be surprised if Al-Farouq Aminu leads the Demon Deacons past the Wildcats and ousts the first #1 seed of the tournament. Simply, the ACC is finally proving that IT IS the BEST conference in College Basketball, hands down.
5. One word: UPSETS.
6. The worst refereeing anyone has ever seen?
7. Year of the Mid-Major.
8. Congrats NCAA Tournament Selection Committee, well done. Much improved from last year.
9. DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA
10. Coach K, most NCAA Tourney wins ever.
Stay tuned for Round 2 reactions….GO BLUE DEVILS!